Followers

Wednesday 26 September 2012

Fall is for the harvest.... French Onion Soup....

Finally taking the leap into cooking and posting my recipes after over 15 years of holding back, I feel as if I am racing towards a point where I was supposed to arrive... somehow, since I always seem to hit the ground running that is no surprise...  I am always asked for recipes and I figure this is the best way to get them to those who want them....

Lets' start today with classic French Onion Soup....  and all the little shortcuts I use to make it completely simple, special and delicious!  This amount will make two very large bowls or 4 small ones.  Increase as you need to make a larger batch.

First, find a large, fresh fall onion, about the size of a softball!  If you are prone to crying when you chop onions there are a few things you need to do first!  I keep mine in the fridge.  I find cold onions are less "pungent" and therefore easier to chop.  Make sure your knife is VERY sharp!  If you wear contact lenses it will work really well to keep you from weeping, but swimming goggles work too...  Peel the onion and cut it in half from the top to the root... and slice it very, very thinly with your knife.  Do it fairly slowly, so you don't make the juices spurt everywhere. 

Next, in a heavy bottom stainless steel pot preheat about one tablespoon of olive oil and about two tablespoons of butter.  When the butter is foamy add your onions all at once.  The bottom of the pot should be covered, but the onions should still sear a bit and not boil!  Turn the heat to medium to allow the onions to caramelize.. but not burn!  You can add a couple of crushed garlic cloves (I find mincing them increases the chance of burning and nothing tastes worse than burnt garlic!) and a teaspoon of dried thyme as well.  Let it cook and be patient!  When the onions are nicely browned and smell delicious deglaze the bottom of the pan with about a cup of a really GOOD red wine!  By good I don't necessarily mean expensive, just one that TASTES good!  A nice, full bodied, rich red will compliment all the ingredients.  I used a Zweigelt-Pinot Noir because I really like it, but a
Burgundy or a full Merlot will also do the trick!  When the pot has sizzled and is simmering add two cans of "consomme" concentrate (yes, I know... cheating... but consomme has the best flavour and who has bloody TIME to simmer beef and chopped vegetables in a "raft" on top of the stock pot for twelve hours?????)  plus two full cans of water to cut the salt.  Simmer this until it smells SO good you have to eat it ... the onions should be transparent and limp, the broth will be a rich dark colour and when you taste the salt should be just right, not overly salty!

To serve this delectable soup I shred about an ounce of Jarlesberg Cheese into each bowl and top it with the steaming soup!  If you want you can make a "Parmesan Raft" for your soup by toasting slices of buttered baguette under the broiler until they are lightly toasted; I like to use butter flavoured with garlic and sprinkle them with Parmesan cheese before toasting.  Float one on each serving and add more cheese if you like cheese (yes, I know... who doesn't like more cheese!).

Add a salad in season, or serve with a beautiful Artisan bread from the local bakery, perhaps an apple crisp for dessert.  Simple.  Pleasurable. Magical!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so good, I might have to think (not too long) about making it this coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be a piece of cake, Marjorie! Thanks! Yup, you got first post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our recipes are very similar. I am all about the oooey goooey cheese on top that is finished under the broiler to make it crusty brown on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Lori! The caramelization of the cheese on top gives it extra flavour! Mmmm.... I always use a combination of cheeses for the raft if I'm going that far, but I usually just load it with cheese while it's hot, then use a great artisan bread for dunking....

    ReplyDelete